It’s cold, it’s snowy, and the sidewalks leading out of our apartment are covered in ice. It’s a good day to stay indoors and bake, but only using the ingredients we have because in all honesty, we’re lazy. And warm. We realized we had some bananas that were starting to brown so we whipped up some easy one-bowl banana bread (that literally took 10 minutes to mix together). We used whole-wheat flour, and substituted half of the sugar with apple sauce to make things a bit healthier/kid friendly. If anything else, this will make your entire house smell like cinnamon goodness, and why wouldn’t you want that?
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup of sugar (or a bit less)
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 bananas mashed (the browner the better)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 2/3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg & cloves
What You’ll Do:
- Heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, apple sauce, and oil
- Mix in bananas and vanilla
- Stir in remaining ingredients until everything is moistened
- Pour into desired mold (we used mini bread pans, but you can make muffins, a large loaf of bread, or a cake)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, place a toothpick or chopstick in the middle to test–f it comes out clean, it’s done!
We like to enjoy our banana bread with a dark chocolate spread (they have a killer one at Migros) and some berries. Bon appétit!
Do you have any easy baking recipes? We’d love you to share!